[6 days extended] 2023 OKFriends Homecoming Youth Camp Participation Announcement
The Overseas Koreans Foundation (OKF), established in 1997 under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, aims to serve the 7.5 million Koreans residing abroad by promoting their sense of ethnic familiarity and helping them become exemplary citizens of their respective countries. Through the ‘2023 OKFriends Homecoming Youth Camp’, OKF aims to provide Korean youth from around the world with the opportunity to communicate with, form bonds, and have a sense of pride in their Korean heritage, as well as to develop leadership skills by experiencing
Korean society, history, and culture.
-2023 OKFriends Homecoming Youth Camp-
1st: July 18 (Tue.) - July 25 (Tue.) (7 nights, 8 days)
2nd: August 1 (Tue.) - August 8 (Tue.) (7 nights, 8 days)
Seoul and other regions
Age: 18-25 (as of July 1, 2023). Overseas Koreans enrolled in a university or
preliminary university students.
※ 18 year old preliminary university students may apply to either the Teens
or Youth Program.
ㅇ Finding Korean Identity (Exploration and Experience)
- Explore and experience the Korean language and culture by visiting historical
sites and major facilities.
ㅇ Public Diplomacy Activity (Education and Participation)
- Participate in a global campaign, cultural public diplomacy activities
related to K-culture, and participatory public diplomacy activities.
ㅇ Developing Global Leadership Skills (Discussion and Education)
- Engage in discussions on global citizenship, environment, and unification.
ㅇ Understanding Koreans (Exchange and Socializing)
- Connect with Korean students and next-generation leaders through
volunteer activities and exchanges.
※ Applicants are required to indicate which period (among two) they wish to participate in.
2. Qualifications: Overseas Korean University Students
- who have legally resided abroad for five years or more.
‧ Eligible candidates include national citizens, permanent residents, Korean nationals, adoptees and children of adoptees, children from multicultural families
‧ Descendants of independence patriots, CIS Koreans (Goryeoin), Chinese Koreans, etc.
‧ Students with a strong will to contribute to the overseas Korean community and those who have shown outstanding achievements in volunteer service for Korean society.
‧ Students must be in good physical and mental health and able to participate fully in the program.
‧ Students involved in conflicts with the immigration control laws of the residing country are not eligible.
※ The number of previous participants in the same programs within 3 years cannot exceed 10% of the total participants.
3. Application Method
ㅇ Applicants can visit www.korean.net, create an account, and apply.
4. Selection Process
ㅇ Applicants who have submitted all the required documents will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Self-introductory letter, reasons for the application (checked for alignment with program objectives)
- Community and service records in the Korean community or in the country of residence (reference)
- Recommendation from the Korean Consulate General in the residing country (reference)
- Other information obtained through the selection process.
5. Preferred Applicants
ㅇ Applicants who write self-introductory letters and reasons for application with enthusiasm
ㅇ Applicants who are fluent in Korean
ㅇ Applicants who excel in different categories
ㅇ Those who have received awards in academic fields and other extracurricular activities
ㅇ Those who have completed a significant amount of community service
6. Support Content
ㅇ 50% of round-trip economy class airfare will be provided to all participants.
- For Mexican/Cuban-Korean descendants, Korean adoptees, and children of adoptees, 100% of the airfare will be provided. The foundation will purchase the ticket and send it to participants through a delivery process to be announced later.
※ Those who participated in the online camp in 2022 may have additional support depending on their completion grade (up to 20%)
ㅇ Principles of Airfare Support
- Airfare support is only applicable if the ticket is purchased for attending this program.
※ In 2023, to correspond with external changes such as the waning COVID-19 pandemic, tickets to enter Korea within 1 week before the camp or leave the country within 1 week after the camp will be supported.
- The airfare is supported when the participant departs from the residential area. However, if departing from other areas outside of your residence due to your personal circumstances, support airfare will apply based on your local residence airfare (if departing from another area is more expensive than the local area airfare).
‧ Ex) Residing country: Japan + Departing country: United States ⇒ Airfares will be supported based on the airfare from Japan
‧ Ex) Residing country: United States + Departing country: Japan ⇒ Airfares will be supported based on the airfare from Japan
2) Meals and accommodations are provided ※only during the program dates.
3) Medical Insurance (Traveler's Insurance) Subscription is provided ※only during the program dates.
7. Application Process and Result Notification
1) Application and Submission
A. Application Deadline (As of Korean Time, May 15, 23:59)
ㅇ Submission Deadline: From the date of announcement to May 15, 2023 (Tue.)
ㅇ Korean Consulate General Review: Recommendations submitted by May 19, 2023 (Mon.)
ㅇ Participant selection and result notification: Before May 29, 2023 (Mon.) through www.korean.net.
B. Document Submissions
ㅇ Required Documents (Write in Korean or English directly on the online application form)
① Application form, permission to request personal information and consent of usage.
② Self-introductory letter (Written in English or Korean) ※ Must write the place of birth and period of time living abroad.
③ Certificate of enrollment or admission letter (Upload directly to the online application form)
ㅇ Optional Documents (Upload directly to the online application form)
① Special skills, awards (Copy)
② Recommendation letter (Principal, Counselor)
※ Participants must visit the Overseas Koreans Foundation website (www.korean.net) to upload and submit all required application forms and documents.
※ Email, phone number, and contact information must be accurate. (Leave the often-used email address as most of the announcements will be sent to the email).
※ Must write an emergency contact and a Korean contact number.
C. Application Process (Check the attachment for details.)
2) Results and Further Questions
ㅇ Results will be announced through the Overseas Koreans Foundation website, www.korean.net, on May 29, 2023, or can be checked through the Korean Consulate General or Overseas Koreans Foundation Future Generations Department.
① 2023 OKFriends Homecoming Youth Camp
- Jung Sik Shin (Manager) Future Generations Department(+82-2-3415-0172, firstname.lastname@example.org)
② Application System Manager
- Young Min Kim (Manager) PR Department (+82-64-786-0292, email@example.com)